Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:53:48 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with the AHA1542B also :-(

On Oct 10,  8:00, John Hay wrote:
} Subject: Problems with the AHA1542B also :-(
} Hi,
}
} Well I tried the EXABYTE on an AHA1542B and it did about 270M before the
} scsi bus froze. :-(

Well, the NCR got some 750MB transferred,
which shows that the driver is 3 times as
good :)

} So it seems that the problem isn't with a specific scsi controller. Do
} you think it can be in the scsi tape code? Or at least be fixable in there?

Well, sorry, if the drive locks up under
two host adapters as different as the NCR
and Ah1542, there is hardly any chance
that it is caused by a bug in the drivers.

Since there always have been a few drives
with broken firmware, there is support for
certain common "quirks" in the generic code.

Look into file "/sys/scsi/st.c", there might
be a need for an entry for you drive, which
needs the ST_Q_NEEDS_PAGE_0 flag set ...

} Here is the error mesg of my tar | dd command and the resulting dmesg,
} shortened because the last part is repeated six or more times.
} -------------------------------------------------------------------------
} dd: /dev/rst0: Input/output error
} 720600+0 records in
} 18014+0 records out
} 368926720 bytes transferred in 2544 secs (145018 bytes/sec)
} -------------------------------------------------------------------------
}
} st0(aha0:6:0): timed out
} st0(aha0:6:0): timed out
} adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
} Debugger("aha1542") called.
}  AGAIN
} aha0: MBO 02 and not 00 (free)
} st0(aha0:6:0): timed out
} adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
} Debugger("aha1542") called.

Well, the NCR driver gave a more verbose
but less understandable error message, but
the contents was the same. The drive just
locks up and does not respond to any SCSI
commands anymore ...

If the above QUIRK does not help, then I
guess it's time to find out how to get a
new firmware loaded into your drive ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160