Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:33:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      russell@lls.lls.com (Russell Brown)
To:        lutzeb@aeccom.com (Dirk Lutzebaeck)
Cc:        Gero.Wedemann@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC 7890/1 Ultra 2 under Linux

Quoth Dirk Lutzebaeck.....

>Gero, you are the third here on the list who has stated timeout
>problems with an ASUS P2B with onboard 7890 controller (I'll rule out
>termination problems for time here). In all three cases there are
>devices attached to the SE-Bus.

FWIW, I've forced the SCSI tape that seemed to be causing problems into
Async mode (everything else is as standard in the Adaptec BIOS setting)
and the systems in question now work a whole lot better.

I can do full tar dumps to the DAT tape and it generally works, no SCSI
timeouts are being generated although around 10% of the time the st0
driver reports 'error writing file mark' when the device is closed.

I'm about to try the 1008 ASUS bios (nothing in the change log indicates
that they've tinkered with the Adaptec side but it's worth a go) and
Doug's 5.1.12 driver.

I'll let this list know what the results are.

--
 Regards,
     Russell