Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:47:38 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Retiring WITHOUT_CXX

On Nov 26, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 10:11 AM Rodney W. Grimes <
> freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>

>> You can disagree with my assertion, but I shall continue to assert
>> that it *seems* as if rather than adding B O S to the CI such that
>> it is not only regularly tested, but continuously tested is the
>> correct path forward here.
>

> Testing all possible options takes on the order days. Testing all
> possible combinations takes much longer. It's not practical to test
> them all on every commit. It's computationally difficult.

Would it make sense to define a number of option sets and
test only those? This would reduce the test load from testing
2^N option sets to a much smaller number. I suspect *useful*
combinations are far fewer than 2^N.

> We do have to stop and consider the bigger picture: is it an option
> that's useful enough to have it be one of the subset of things we test
> on a regular basis, and enforce some sort of pre-commit requirements
> for. Or is it an option we're content to test after the fact and have some
> sane plan for remediation? Or is it an option that we've slavishly
> carried forward from a time where it made a lot of sense to a time where
> the situation on the ground is such that it no longer makes sense?

It appears the following in /usr/src have .cc files:
[ls **/*.cc|sed 's,/[^/]*$,,'|uniq]

cddl/usr.sbin/zfsd
cddl/usr.sbin/zfsd/tests
cddl/usr.sbin/zfsd
contrib/bsnmp/tests
contrib/capsicum-test
contrib/googletest/googlemock/src
contrib/googletest/googlemock/test
contrib/googletest/googletest/codegear
contrib/googletest/googletest/samples
contrib/googletest/googletest/src
contrib/googletest/googletest/test
contrib/googletest/googletest/xcode/Samples/FrameworkSample
contrib/libcbor/oss-fuzz
contrib/libcxxrt
contrib/libucl/examples
contrib/netbsd-tests/lib/libc/sync
crypto/openssh/regress/misc/fuzz-harness
lib/csu/tests
lib/libc/tests/stdlib
lib/libdevdctl
lib/libdevdctl/tests
lib/libnv/tests
lib/libpmc
sbin/devd
tests/sys/fs/fusefs
tools/tools/mcgrab
tools/tools/mctest
usr.bin/dtc
usr.bin/users
usr.sbin/pmc

Looks like a lot of the .cc files are required for testing
(that most users won't care about).

I was surprised to see .cc files in lib/libc/tests/stdlib!
There are only two .cc files here. lib/libpmc has just one.

googletest's README.md says:

  Welcome to **Google Test**, Google's C++ test framework!

If it will help I can rewrite devd in C, and may be more.

I have a very small program that converts .dtb files to .dts.
Adding a parser for .dts files wouldn't be hard (with
usr.bin/dtc as a reference). Not trivial but doable.