Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:37:28 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
To:        Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   home lan with freebsd as gateway / security issues

Dear all,

Please bear with me one more time. In two months I will need to set up a
home network and I was planning to use a spare freebsd box as a gateway,
proxy (squid) and content filtering (dansguardian). I am basically ready
but the more I think about it, the more worried I am.

That is - for content filtering to work without bypassing it, I will need
to put the machine in front of my wireless router, won't I? I am going to
do some reading on tightening FreeBSD security and closing ports/services I
do not need. My question is more general, though, I would simply like to
know if there's any simple way to put the box behind a router and sitll be
able to do transparent proxying of requests originating from my LAN? What I
really need is content filtering so that my kids won't accidentaly go to
bad sites.

I am not really an administrator so my knowledge is limited but I love this
(FreeBSD) system and want to continue using it and learning the ropes. What
would you advise a person like me?

Many, many thanks!

Zbigniew Szalbot