Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 03:39:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, mellon@pobox.com, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> 	Not all science fiction is trashy literature, but I think
> Anatoly has a point. It seems to me that much of SciFi (or SF, or
> whatever the hell you wanna call it) falls under one of several themes.
> 	1) the "sensawunda" Eivind was talking about. Nothing wrong
> 	   with that, but nothing I can get really passionate about either.
> 	2) cliche "woe-is-mankind-with-all-this-technology" plotlines.
> 	3) in the year 2345, when there are no wars, no greed, no
> 	   disease, and everybody recycles.

Read Greg Bear, Robert Forward, Bruce Sterling, or any of a hundred
others I will name for you if you insist.

Let me know beforehand if you specifically want wonderous prose, one
single technological trend projection, or whatever.

Most of the SF I read is of type:

	4) What will people's reactions/lives be like if this trend
	   continues.

> 	Science fiction -- if not just a technological flight-of-fancy --
> is often a tool for the author's social or political agenda.

As is all other literature.  Lewis Carrol's "Through the Looking Glass"
is a trieste on the British Monarchies political policies.

> 	I was a columnist for my college newspaper a few years
> ago, and was no stranger to getting on political soapboxes :) But,
> something about having ficticious characters speaking on behalf of
> the author, rather than the author coming right out and saying what's
> on his mind just annoys the hell out of me.

I would recommend avoiding "The Federalist Papers", then, what with
the fictional "Publius"... ;-).

> 	Admittedly, many of the best (usually) non-science fiction authors
> historically have done this too. George Orwell comes to mind.
> But somehow, non-science fiction writers pull it off better, possibly
> because the characters are often more believable -- more real. I can
> care about them and even identify with them.

George Orwell was a science fiction writer.  1984 was a future history,
which is about as cliche a science fiction plot device as you can get.
The book is still a classic, however, because the important point was
to suspend disbelief over the plot device.

> 	Often, science fiction characters chase each other around
> banks of blinking lights armed with phaser guns.  That doesn't mean
> science fiction won't cut it.  I just personally prefer that
> the technology should be the backdrop for good character development.

I think you are watching SF, not reading it.  ;-).  Read Greg Bear's
"Slant" or Phillip K. Dick's Novella "Do Androids Dream of Electric
Sheep".  Or read Richard Preston's "The Cobra Event" or Bruce Sterling's
"Holy Fire".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---