Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 15:12:58 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor Video Capture Card Driver

In article <DDo1EM.oqq@ns1.nodak.edu>, Mark Tinguely writes:
* Warning: the Meteor does not work with all PCI chipsets. A MERCURY chipset
  motherboard is almost certain to NOT work with the Meteor. A NEPTUNE chipset
  motherboard with a PCI video card may hang with heavy Meteor use. So it is
  wise to use a "SATURN" or "TRITON" chipset motherboard and also limit the
  number of PCI bus-mastering devices on that bus. We had difficulties getting
  the Meteor capture card to work with systems that also use the NCR PCI SCSI
  boards.  It is also wise to have 16 or more Megabytes of RAM in the computer.

Since I'm currently maintaining the PCI and NCR code,
we might try to get the Matrox Meteor supported on
more motherboards ...

Do you have a complete set of technical documents for
the Meteor, especially regarding the PCI bus interface ?

I currently do not have much time to spend on this, but
if you have some idea what prevents the Meteor from
working, I might be able to change the PCI or NCR code
accordingly ...

There have been problems with PCI bursts of more than one
cache line of data with the NCR, but I had thought the
Saturn was one of the chip sets that need more attention
than other Intel chip sets.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160