Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:21:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another booting problem

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> I did something rather stupid recently, and now FreeBSD won't boot up
> normally anymore. What did I do? MAKEDEV all. I thought it was going to
> create all devices referenced in my kernel config, but apparently, it didn't.

makedev all is deprecated and should be removed.  It goes back to 1.1.x
days-style devices, which will cause mount to blow up.

You'll have to rebuild each disk and such manually.  So walk through and
do

makedev wd0s0
makedev wd0s1
makedev wd0s2
makedev wd0s3
makedev wd1s0

and so forth as you require.  You should be able to do this from
single-user mode (the 'press return for sh' prompt), if you run 'mount /'
to get it into read/write before running makedev.

Hope this helps.