Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:48:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, "'freeBSD-scsi@freeBSD.org'" <freeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: disable write caching with softupdates?

> Wouldn't it be acceptable to mark the meta-data writes as non-cacheable
> (i.e. write though to the media before signalling completion), and let the
> remaining writes (user data writes) be cacheable? I think this would improve
> the performance of the file system.

Actually, performance-wise, you'd probably want to know the real geometry,
given all the stuff FFS does to exploit it.

> SCSI has supported this for years, in the form of the FUA bit in the CDB for
> the write command. Somewhat similar behavior can be had in the newer flavors

As I recall, and from what Eivind noted, this bit is routinely ignored in
about 90% of all drives out there.

> of ATA by issuing a "flush cache" command after each meta-data write, and
> waiting until the flush command completes before signalling the completion
> of the non-cacheable write.

This has the potential for degrading performance even further. I think you
would prefer to disable cache over this.

Marius