Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:00:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/23064: Alphas do not boot if `a' (/) partition isn't at	a lower offset than `b' (swap)

The following reply was made to PR alpha/23064; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To: "'freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: "'wilko@FreeBSD.org'" <wilko@FreeBSD.org>,
	"Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject: Re: alpha/23064: Alphas do not boot if `a' (/) partition isn't at	a
 lower offset than `b' (swap)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:56:56 +0100

 Dear Wilko,

 While I appreciate your janitorial :) efforts, I would like to ask you to
 reopen this PR.

 The reason for me to open the PR was that it may scare off the
 Alpha-newbies.

 Since this is an Alpha-specific problem, perhaps /stand/sysinstall should
 have a warning if someone on an Alpha wants to shoot himself in the foot.
 (Just a warning, because if people need their foot shot off they should be
 able to do it). Something along the lines of: "Gee, looks like you're going
 to create a non-booting disk layout, are you sure you want to do that?" (I'm
 sure you can download an appropriate ASCII-art paperclip from microsoft.com)

 This is a similar case as the >1024 cylinder install, which was a PC BIOS
 issue. I believe /stand/sysinstall had a warning in place for that issue.

     Kees Jan