Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:12:05 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        core@freebsd.org
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Current SMP status inquiry

Howdy,

what's the current word about SMP?

I thought the 2.2/3.0 split happened in order to allow the back-
integration of the SMP stuff into the regular tree.  However, i
haven't seen any sign of this by now...

The reason i'm asking: by end of february, the German Unix Users Group
(GUUG) holds its annual Spring Meeting (Fruehjahrs-Workshop), which is
basically a very technically-oriented meeting.  As in last year, they
plan to distribute the proceedings in electronic form on a CD-ROM.
Again as in last year, there's plenty of space on this CD available,
and we've got the opportunity to stuff some FreeBSD tree onto it.  I
would like to put an experimental snapshot there.  While i could put a
close-to-2.2R (or actual 2.2R) there (with only some tweaks to allow
installing it off the directory /FreeBSD on the CD), it's a little
pointless to duplicate something that's also available publically.  So
i think putting a FreeBSD/SMP there would make more sense, provided
the system is basically usable and could serve as an experimental base
for more than just a dozen developers.

Btw., i've got a designated FreeBSD track there, and are currently
hectically collecting volunteers for papers... the GUUG meisters have
allocated and announced the FreeBSD workshop, but apparently with
nothing else in their back than my submission. :-/  But so far, it
doesn't look bad, i've got a few `Aye's already.  I hope i will also
be able to convince the BISDN folks and Stefan Esser...

Jordan, can you get me 10 2.1.6 CD's for this even, too?

--
cheers, J"org