Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:58:25 +0100
From:      Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   symmetric multiprocessing: MPS 1.4 recommended ?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:05:46PM +0100, Ruben van Staveren wrote:

> Same here, stability `improved' when stripping out USB and I2C support.
> this all happend when I upgraded from RELENG_4_3 to RELENG_4 on last sunday.
> I had resynced with RELENG_4 today, but no effect.
>
> dmesg and kernel config can be found on http://ruben.is.verweg.com/freebsd
>
> Motherboard is an ASUS P2B-DS.

I've cvs'upped to 4.5-PRERELEASE recently to see if the problems went away.
Stability seemed to have improved while running X but still those total
lockups. There where no stability issues whatsoever when not running X.

Now I did something completely different:

I flashed my bios to version 1013 and turned on MPS 1.4 support.
(It was bios rev# 1008B and MPS 1.1)

has

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=7960+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-smp/20010603.freebsd-smp

anything to do with it ?

The system hasn't hung ever since...

If it is truly recommended, is it worth mentioning it in for example the LINT
or GENERIC kernel config files ?

> The system can run fine for a day, serving as gateway and firewall and
> providing email and proxy for the home network. When running an interactive X
> logon it runs for about a couple of hours before freezing up. sometimes the
> machine comes back after a couple of minutes, only to freeze again later on.
>
> Some of the freezes happened while just browsing with mozilla, a make
> deinstall of a port, or after an rm -rf /usr/obj. It is not reproducable
> however: the system did compile and install a whole userland and kernel while
> running an interactive X session

Regards,
	Ruben