Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:08:22 +1000
From:      Tristan Verniquet <tris_vern@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   syncing large mmaped files

I want to work with large (1-10G) files in memory but eventually sync them =
back out to disk. The problem is that the sync process appears to lock the =
file in kernel for the duration of the sync=2C which can run into minutes. =
This prevents other processes from reading from the file (unless they alrea=
dy have it mapped) for this whole time. Is there any way to prevent this? I=
 think I read in a post somewhere about openbsd implementing partial-writes=
 when it hits a file with lots of dirty pages in order to prevent this. Is =
there anything available for FreeBSD or is there another way around it?

Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list.
 		 	   		  =