Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:23:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sebastien Maraux <smaraux@cpc.westminster.ac.uk>
Cc:        faq@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with sysinstall and install.cfg

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Sebastien Maraux wrote:

> I currently use FreeBSD 2.2.8.
>
> I 'd like to setup a network automate installation, that's why I need
> install.cfg
>
> My strategy is to boot with netboot on a floppy,
> a bootp server answers the bootp request , gives IP adresses like gateway
> and DNS , mount a NFS slice as rootfs and finally specifies which kernel
> has to be booted (with path)

Fancy.  If you can pull it off, please contribute your
code/instructions/etc.  If you're booting with a floppy, you aren't
gaining any advantage through netbooting.

> a script copy a specific install.cfg from the network to the floppy,
> renaming it install.cfg
>
> Then I execute "sysinstall loadConfig" BUT :
>
> 1. sysinstall gives me an "unable to open (NULL): No such file or
> directory" -> where should I specify the file which has to be loaded ?

Yes.  You must set the 'file' variable to the file to load, so your
arguments should look like

sysinstall file="install.cfg" loadConfig

> 2. When I boot without the loadConfig option, sysinstall gives me "unable
> to add /dev/wd0s1b as swap device: device not configured" for the swap
> and "error mounting /dev/wd0s1e on /a/ : Invalid argument" when it tries
> to mount the devices on /a/, /a/usr, /a/var.

The disklabel wasn't committed.

> I'd like to install a FreeBSD system on /a , then modify the fstab to boot
> on the last /a/ as /

It ends up being /mnt/a/foo in the install environment. I'm not sure what
you're gaining by having everything under /a, though.  Sysinstall already
mounts the install disk under /mnt.

> I join my install.cfg model.

I'll take a look at it.  My previous experience with install.cfg wasn't
too rosy; it didn't select distributions correctly.

This is extra-hard if you don't have the sysinstall man page, which
details all the options.  I can attach it if you like.

Doug White