Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:29:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        Clarence_Griffin@ed.gov, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printers

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Marius Bendiksen wrote:

> >If you make a printer queue with an input filter which uses Ghostscript to
> >convert PostScript you can directly print to that queue by lpr -Pqueue
> >from inside an application. Furthermore, if you set the environment
> >variable PRINTER to the queue name, you won't have to do anything special
> >inside an application - just print (PRINTER defines the default printer).
>
> So, I should mkfifo a queue, cat it into ghostscript onto the cu-device?

That is not the right way. If you set up a printer on a BSD-like
UNIX-System, you

* make it known to the system by /etc/printcap and
* you write an input or other filter which processes the data.

PLease please read the handbook. In /etc/printcap, you give the device
where the data will be sent to *after* the filter has taken effect. Your
filter will be a shell script like this:

-- cut here --

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

exec 3>&1 1>&2
gs -dNOPAUSE -sSAFER -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile="| cat 1>&3" -q -

-- cut here --

>From the shell, enter `gs -h' to see the devices available.

Ghostscript is available as a precompiled package on the Walnut Creek CDs
or at ftp.freebsd.org. Prefer version 4.03 or 5.xx.

Regards
Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de