Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:33:39 +1300
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

On Friday, 15 October 1999 at 13:57:24 +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Some flaws in the "make world" became apparent when the sigset_t
> datatype changed. One of the biggest problems right now is that we don't
> have an upgrade path from -stable to -current. Especially with 4.0 being
> released early next year. I want to start a discussion here on how to
> properly implement make world. I start of with known issues/problems and
> some points that are not necessarily problems. Following that I give an
> indication of what I'm thinking about by summing a number of design
> "points" that I have in mind. I finish with the notion that you can help
> :-)
>
> Known issues/problems:
> P1. the upgrade path is broken.
> P2. aout to elf seems to be broken too.
> P3. no cross compilation.
> P4. buildworld must be performed as root.
> P5. sys.mk pollution.
>
> Questionable issues:
> P6. no kernel is made as part of world.

I don't have a problem separating world and kernel.  But building the
klds should be part of building the kernel, not making the world.
This is just for the record: I think peter is looking at this, and it
may get fixed soon.  But if you are planning to restructure the build,
it's a point to bear in mind.

Greg