Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porters Handbook

I have been doing some note prep for a talk,
and have been reading the Porters Handbook.

I really really suggest that somebody who is more
knowledgeable than I am REVIEW and REWRITE the sections
on man pages.

Currently they do not make even the slightest bit of sense.

a) Explain about the file name conventions:
    pgk-plist is really pkg/PLIST

b) PLEASE try to add a section on the pkg/PLIST^H^H^H^H^H pkg-plist
   format.  The 'see pkg_add(1)' does not cut it for the new reader.

   You might hint right up front that using the following
   will create the files and allow you to try to run 'make makesum'

    touch pkg/PLIST pkg/COMMENT pkg/DESCR

c) Explain IN DETAIL (whimper...)

    1. where the man pages need to be put when you do
       'make install' so the poor novice will understand
       where to have 'make install' put the man pages

    2. skip the stuff about 'compressed man pages' and
       tell them to always use 'NO' unless they are very
       clever.

Sigh... I wish I knew more about the details so I could
contribute more than just whinging...

Patrick ("WHINGY Whingy Whing... Whine?") Powell