Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:15:56 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xemacs 19.13 diffs - will someone commit them under my name?

In article <8236.818123567@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
   > 	These diffs incorporate the diffs for the xemacs 19.13 package, but
   > add necessary steps to enable the native audio support under FreeBSD.  I've
   > tested it pretty thoroughly and it works great...

   Cool!

   > -    ((memq system-type '(netbsd))
   > +    ((memq system-type '(netbsd freebsd))

   Not so cool.. :-(

   When are we ever going to get in good enough with the 3rd parties to
   actually get ourselves supported natively?  Is it just that our ports
   and packages collection is so good that nobody bothers making stuff
   compile out of box anymore? :-)

The problem is that FreeBSD people are not sending patches back to authors.
This has been the case at least with ssh, pppd and djpeg.  As this is only
with the authors I happened to discuss with for some other reason, I think
the problem is worse than just a couple of programs.

I would propose that ports would not be committed at all before the patches
have been sent to authors.  If it is optional, people are too lazy to do
the sub-5-minute job to check out the authors address from docs and mail
the patch file.  If the author decides not to accept the patches, it is
authors problem, then, but at least you tried.

With ssh some of the patches in ports also were wrong according to what I
heard from the author.  So, it is not just trying to make things compile,
but make sure that author can also verify that the patches do the intended
thing and do not break anything else.  I cannot imagine anything better for
quality assurance than checking it with the original author.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi  work +358-0-4375209 fax -4555276 home -8031121