Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 12:14:53 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What programs use libreadline?

> >I already explained that the copystring() routine is now deprecated
> >according to all the comments in the code, so I would like to remove it
> >from libreadline ...
>
> Sorry, I misunderstand you a bit. We don't have newest version
> of gdb, it is 4.14.

Correct.  When we upgrade to it, I'd rather not have to have a ton of
FreeBSD specific patches for the sources if possible.

> I'll check -current gdb & readline to see,
> what savestring does in both sources, but do you say that you already
> have ld patch for it, or not?

For the shared version, but not for the static version (in case anyone
wants to compile it static).  I use the static version for debugging the
shlib code as it seems to work better than the shared version. :-)

Nate