Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:00:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Running into an mbuf leak with bridging and tap

I'm running an ethernet over TCP bridge using a combination of the native
ethernet bridge support and the tap driver.  Basically, a daemon sits on
/dev/tapX and bridges ethernet frames using a small header over a TCP
connection.  The bridge support is loaded as a kld, as is the tap support,
and both modules remain resident from then on.  After a couple of days,
perhaps triggered by the connection going up and down and leaving bridging
turned on even when nothing is listening on the tap device, the endpoints
will run out of mbufs:

  26707 mbufs in use
  25453/25600 mbuf clusters in use (current/max)
  0/3/6656 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
  57582 KBytes allocated to network
  0 requests for sfbufs denied
  0 requests for sfbufs delayed
  0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
  0 calls to protocol drain routines

Under normal circumstances (i.e., without tap and ethernet bridging on),
this doesn't happen, suggesting that maybe there's a leak in the bridging
code or tap code.  I've now seen this with three boxes, a blend of UP and
SMP.  I haven't yet had a chance to sit down with a debugging kernel.  Has
anyone else seen anything like this?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research