Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:13:52 -0600
From:      j.saito@wanadoo.fr
To:        <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I determine "hostname" ?

On 1997-12-16 rgireyev@yahoo.com said:
   >A hostname is nothing but a name for the IP number for your machine.
   >It is useless when trying to access the outside world from your
   >machine but is very useful when the outside world is trying to
   >access your machine. Hostname on your machine allows other machines
   >on the network to find this machine by name instead of remembering
   >the IP number.
   >Your problems sound like a problem in getting PPP up and running, so
   >if you can expand on the steps you are tacking in connecting to your
   >ISP thne Brian can figure out right away what's going on :-)
   >Rudy.
   >---j.saito@wanadoo.fr wrote:
   >> I am a bit confused as to how I set up "hostname" on my PC.
   >> I only have a dial-up account. Is that my login name to the IP ?
   >> It seems, however, that it is not used to reach other sites but
   >> another one, which is apparently attributed dynamically as is my
   >> IP address.
   >> I tried to set up PPP following the PPP section of the handbook.
   >> I can reach my IP and pign it but when I ping other remote sites,
   >> I only get "Hostname lookup failure". What is wrong with the
   >> configuraiton ? The version of FreeBSD is 2.2.5. Any suggestions
   >> will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
   >> j.saito@wanadoo.fr (J. Saito)

   I was not precise in speaking of "IP", I meant "ISP".
   Here is how I proceeded :

# ppp
User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
Using interface: tun0
Interactive mode
ppp ON ns> dial simplesite
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: 0836019301
dial OK!
login OK!
ppp ON ns> Packet mode.
ppp ON ns>
PPP ON ns>

# ifconfig -a
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 193.252.160.71 --> 195.6.71.4 netmask 0xffffff00
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

# netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          1       26       lo0
195.6.71.4         193.252.160.71     UH          0        0      tun0

# ping 195.6.71.4
PING 195.6.71.4 (195.6.71.4): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 195.6.71.4: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=315.404 ms
64 bytes from 195.6.71.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=273.907 ms

# ping ftp.freebsd.org
ping: cannot resolve ftp.freebsd.org: Host name lookup failure

If a hostname is useless for outgoing connection ( I don't expect any
incoming one ), can I choose any hostname I like ? That'll be great !

junichi