Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:26:05 -0500
From:      Charles Green <green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yes!!! Netscape and Java for BSDI - Reply - Reply

        I'm running 2.1 -Stable and netscape 3.0 (and applets) are
running fine!

"Jordan K. Hubbard" stands accused of saying:
} Date: Mar 30,  7:55
} > Ummm..  Something is wrong :)  I get no Java Applets either (using a make
} > install from Jordan's port)...  Darren are you running -current?  Jordan
} > do you have Java working?
}
} This is very strange.  I can tell you exactly what the sequence of
} events was in my installation of that port:
}
} 1. Fetch the tar file.  Contemplate unpacking and installing it by hand
}    but decide "no, wait, I might as well just create a port for this right
}    here and now instead."
}
} 2. Move the tar file to the distfiles directory and clone the netscape2
}    port as netscape3 (the missing "fetch" step here is why I blew the
}    initial path to the tarball, which Satoshi fixed - whoops!).
}
} 3. Fix the new netscape3 port to DTRT for the slightly different structure
}    of the new port - mainly just change "hot-convert.sh" to "moz3_0.zip"
}    since the hot-convert script was gone and the moz3_0.zip file added.
}
} 4. Make install.  Yow - it worked!
}
} 5. Visit http://java.sun.com and run all the applets there.  Yow, they
}    work too!
}
} 6. Import the port.
}
} I'm running 2.2-current; I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
}
} 						Jordan
}
} >
} > Here's what I found out:
} >
} > 1- moz_blah.zip is in the correct place, because deleteing it causes
} > 	netscape to complain about it missing.
} > 2- Java Applets attempt to start (I get subprocess diagnostics as always)
} >
} >
} > Sujal
} >
} > PS:  BTW, has anyone else noticed that the BSDI binary launches much
} > faster- and maybe performs better than the Linux one?  Do we demand page
} > Linux a.out binaries?
} >
}
}-- End of excerpt from "Jordan K. Hubbard"

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &