Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:37:50 -0600
From:      "Keith A. Fredericks" <keith@orbis.net>
To:        Allen Sitho <sithoa@ecs.csus.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My X config.

Try to run the graphical X config from /stand/sysinstall.
Select c. configure, for post-install configuration and then
X, configure XFree86.  Then select the graphical configuration
tool.  If this does not run, run it manually from
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86config and check what the error message is.
If it is a message stating that it needs a tcl library file,
download and install that version of tcl.

This is what I did after I forgot how my display was configured
and I spent hours trying to screw around with the command line
configuration.  The graphical tool automatically setup the
config for the maximum of what the card could do.  In my case
with the Matrox Millenium II, the only manual configuration was
to use -bpp 32 in the startx script so that the server defaults
to the max display depth.