Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:52:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   when are unsolicited sales okay?

Can an unsolicited sales pitch ever be appropriate?

Some people and businesses don't like door-to-door sales. (I don't mind
the very infrequent religious, chiropractic or vote-seeker coming to my
door.)

All of us (I assume) are against unsolicited email sales letters.

I dislike getting phone calls to my home trying to sell me new roofs,
better security systems, windshields, vacation packages, etc.

I don't mind receiving a few sales pitches to my business telephone line
if they are related to my work. (I only receive about one per week.) But I
dislike receiving offers for windshield crack repairs to my business
phone.

I usually don't care about the tens of sales letters I receive each week;
sometimes I receive something interesting.  I do care that I waste some
time recycling. And I do mind that natural resources are probably being
wasted.

I don't receive unsolicited faxes anymore. But a few years ago, I used to
receive sales pitches by fax, but it was because my number was similar or
used to be some other companies. (So this hasn't been an issue.)

Anyways, when are unsolicited sales okay?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/