Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:29:23 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        amg <ursa@cris.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer prpblems

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 04:29:03PM -0400, amg wrote:
> Mark:
>
>    Thanks for your prompt reply.
>  I changed the config file accordingly,
>  however, there  still is not kernel support
>  for the lpt? device.  Any other ideas??

Not really, sorry. The error you see at boot:

   ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range

comes from /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/pcf.c:157

        /* IO port is mandatory */
        pcf->res_ioport = bus_alloc_resource(pcfdev, SYS_RES_IOPORT,
                                             &pcf->rid_ioport, 0ul, ~0ul,
                                             IO_PCFSIZE, RF_ACTIVE);
        if (pcf->res_ioport == 0) {
                device_printf(pcfdev, "cannot reserve I/O port range\n");
                goto error;
        }

but as to the cause, especially since it worked in earlier versions
of FreeBSD, I've no idea.

BTW, I've put -questions back in the Cc:. It's always a good idea not
to remove the mailing list from the Cc: in case the person who you
replied to is unable to solve your problem, as is the case here.
Others will assume that you have fixed the problem if they don't see
the messages.

Hopefully someone else will jump in and help out here.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie