Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:57:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gmarco@masternet.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: * Italian Keyboard *

> I made the file for italian keyboard, but I have problems with italian
> particular keys ...
>
> Studying other keyboards that come with Bsd I did it in this way :

[ ... ]

> Now I put the ascii code for italian keys, but I begin to thinks some is
> wrong with it.
> i.e.
>
> 039   149    135    nop    nop    '@'    nop    nop    nop     O
>
> 149 is the ascii of o with an accent on it... and 135 is another strnge
> simbol...
>
> Linux use for this line a such definition :
>
> keycode  39 = ograve           ccedilla		at
> 	control keycode  39 = nul
> 	alt     keycode  39 = Meta_at
> 	control alt keycode 39 = Meta_nul
>
> Is perhaps a Shell (tsch) problem with this strange keys ? Or is the
> keyboard definition that is wrong...?

Is 139 the ISO 8859-1 character for 'o + grave accent', or is it the
"DOS Extended ASCII" character?

Typically, this will be a problem for you if the character code does not
match the loaded console font.

For email interoperability, I'd suggest using an ISO 8859-1 character
set for your console.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---