Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:10:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal trap 12 on startup

While installing 2.2.8R (from a CD which I got from cheapbytes) on a
486DX2 66, w/ 16Mb RAM, I get:
> sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
> sc0: VGA mono <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>

> fault virtual address   = 0xefc00000
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01eee33
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffefc
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffefc
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pre 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 0 ()
> interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam
> panic: page fault
>Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

At this point, I tried a few options at the boot prompt, including:
-cv to change any device which could be in conflict
-g to try and debug
-d also to debug
-s just for the hell of it

In all cases, I got the same message as above. I simply don't seem to have
a chance to fix the problem as far as I can see. I've also searched the
freebsd mailing list and handbook/faq, but couldn't find anything.

Please suggest a few alternatives, I'd rather learn about this problem
instead of going back to my previous release.

Thanks in advance,
Marc