Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:44:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>, "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD vs FreeBSD

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Robert Watson wrote:

> Use a toaster oven.  Toaster ovens have excellent network security
> characteristics.  For example, they are not susceptible to any IMAP-based
> buffer overflow attacks; additionally, current toaster ovens are not known

A friend of mine points out that toaster ovens are susceptible to a buffer
overflow involving pieces of bread exceeding the safe bread limit in the
oven, which can result in a fire, or at the very least, a lot of burnt
bread.  As such, I am no longer planning to deploy toaster ovens as web
servers on our network.

Apologies for any misleading details concerning the reliability of toaster
ovens in hostile environments -- I hope no one has made purchasing
decisions based on this misinformation!

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/