Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:36:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Sean Murphy <033197m@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: PCMCIA Card Data

On 19-Jan-99 Sean Murphy wrote:
> I've been told that there might be a piece of software within the standard
> FreeBSD distribution that one could use to gain data about a PCMCIA card
> (CIS index, offset for the MAC address, etc).  I've seen data detailing a
> program called "pin" for commercial unix, i believe.. does anyone know how
> I might go about finding this information, or a program that could obtain
> it for me?  I'm getting quite frustrated, and I can't imagine that
> everyone has this problem.  I'm trying to get my IBM EtherJet PC card
> (reportedly supported in 3.0-release), however, there is no configuration
> for it in the pccard.conf, so I need the CIS index and the ether offset to
> set up a config section..

It's quite simple to get the information:
/usr/sbin/pccardc dumpcis

> also, do I need to compile the interface (ed0,
> ep0, whatever it is) into the kernel or something?  To my experience, this
> was MUCH easier in Linux.. put the card in, recompile Cardmanager with the
> driver source, rerun card manager, off you go..  please help

Yes, you will need to have the interface in the kernel.  I think its a ze
driver, but I could be wrong.  The easy way would be to compile them all in,
and try them one at a time.

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9