Date:      12 May 1998 14:36:49 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   INRIA IPv6 on FreeBSD

Weee, a lot of things have been happening lately.

To sum it up briefly, the Department of Informatics (Ifi) at the
University of Oslo has an IPng research lab (Norway's first IPv6
installation). And one of the computers (fixus) there is running
FreeBSD... Being one of the very few FreeBSD-competent persons at Ifi,
and the only one daring enough (or stupid enough) to just walk in and
ask for an account, I am now sysadmin on fixus :)

The problem is that the INRIA IPv6 stack (which, according to our IPv6
experts, is the best one available) only runs on FreeBSD 2.2.5R, and I
really, really want to run 3.0-CURRENT (or at the very least
2.2.6-STABLE) on it. So I have three choices (in descending order of
workload):

 - upgrade to STABLE or CURRENT, and port INRIA IPv6 to that.

 - switch to a different IPv6 implementation (the other people using
   this machine might object).

 - forget it.

Naturally, I would prefer the first alternative. It is MHO (and I have
voiced it before) that FreeBSD should jump on board the IPv6 train as
soon as possible. I have just sent an e-mail to Francis Dupont (author
of the INRIA IPv6 stack) expressing more or less what I am writing
here.

So how do you feel about integrating the INRIA IPv6 stack into FreeBSD
CURRENT?

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.