Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:43:20 GMT
From:      yongari@FreeBSD.org
To:        rmh@debian.org, yongari@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, yongari@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/154591: [msk] [panic] if_msk driver causes kernel panic (fatal trap while in kernel mode)

Synopsis: [msk] [panic] if_msk driver causes kernel panic (fatal trap while in kernel mode)

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: yongari
State-Changed-When: Thu Feb 10 18:41:33 UTC 2011
State-Changed-Why:
It seems there are two issues here.
 o Station address read by driver was ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
 o PHY attach failure triggered panic

I have no idea for the first issue. It seems you have 88E8056 Yukon
Ultra controller which is known to have several stability issues
with msk(4). Due to lack of hardware I was not able to track down
the root cause of the issues.

However I can't reproduce the panic on my box when I patched the
driver to fail attaching a PHY. By chance are you using VIMAGE
enabled kernel? If yes, how about removing VIMAGE in your
configuration and test again?

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-net->yongari
Responsible-Changed-By: yongari
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Feb 10 18:41:33 UTC 2011
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Grab.