Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:48:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   sysorg: sys/contrib

On 14-Jun-01 Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:07:54PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> There are some problems with the current location of IPFilter sources.
>>
>> 1.  The idea of http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/docs/sysorg.txt was
>>     that src/sys/contrib/ mirrors the structure of src/sys/; this is
>>     currently broken.  src/sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/ should have
>>     been actually called the src/sys/contrib/netinet/.
>
> I'm ambivalent on this.  On one hand, having the additional directory
> level nicely categorizes the nature of the sys/contrib bits in the same
> sense that /src/contrib does, and makes it easier to remove.  OTOH,
> this might get messy at some point.

I can see the value in contrib/ipfilter.  sysorg.txt is not set in stone. :)
For 3rd party software, it is better if we let the software keep it's
distributed layout.  The intention was that if you had device driver xyz, then
it's sources would be in sys/contrib/dev/xyz/ and under that subdirectory it
would follow the internal layout of the package.  If we had a networking
subdirectory, then sys/contrib/net/ipfilter would be the way to go, but since
networking all lives at the top level, sys/contrib/ipfilter is probably fine.
Thus, some examples that might help illustrate:

        sys/contrib/fs/my_spiffs_fs/
        sys/contrib/dev/my_spiffy_device_driver/
        sys/contrib/vm/my_spiffy_vm_pager/
        sys/contrib/my_spiffy_networking_code/
        sys/contrib/my_spiffy_kernel_debugger/
        sys/contrib/compat/3rd_party_foo_os_emulation/
        sys/contrib/lib/my_spiffy_kernel_library/
        sys/contrib/boot/my_spiffy_boot_loader/