Date:      12 Jul 2002 20:52:05 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
Cc:        stan <stanb@awod.com>, freebsd stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, gnome <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome/Sawfish problems after portupgrade

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 19:15, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:28:29AM -0400, stan wrote:
> > After last weekends cvsup & portupgrade I am unable to run Sawfish as the
> > window manager fro Gnome on both machnes I track STABLE on
> >
> > Basicly Gnome starts up (after a _very long_ time) and there is no window
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I've this problem too. it seems to be `esd' startup which sleep for
> a while but don't know why.

In my experience, it really was Sawfish that was hanging.  The problem
(in may case) was that Swafish would hang for minutes, but would
eventually continue.

I'll bet you are running an X Font Server.  I was running xfs-tt.  As
soon as I switched to gnome2, the problems I had with fonts escalated
enormously.  I finally switched from xfs-tt to straight X with no font
server.  Now, startup is a breeze.

xfs-tt has other problmes, including horribly mangling the font names so
that no application is able to use them.  Also, the font server protocol
is just too darn slow and unreliable, especially if you are trying to
serve a lot of fonts.

Try removing your font server and see if it improves.

/Joe