Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 16:07:26 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        mnewton <mnewton@newland.com>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, jhk <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ascend max problem router hangs

A lot depends on the kind of traffic that is going thru the Ascend router.
For instance a steady stream of UDP packets can bring down nicely Ascend
routers. This problem was easily reproduced with mbone apps with mrouted
running on FreeBSD boxes. The latest version for at least my
Ascend Pipeline 50 seems to alleviate the problem yet it is still
there. Very fast tcp/ip traffic can also cause the routers to die but
much harder to reproduce than with UDP traffic.

It seems like Ascend has buffer management problems or so I was able
to ascertain from past talks with Ascend.

	Good Luck,
	Amancio