Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 01:17:57 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        support@tecpro.com
Subject:   Re: New dhcp-server installatioin on FreeBSD 4.0 - Help with initial configuration

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:01:16 -0400  "Charles Peters - Tech Support" wrote:
 +------------------
 | You must be working the night shift!
 +------------------

Just can't sleep for some reason.

 +------------------
 | Please see the notes below.
 | > I've added the following in network_pass3 in /etc/rc.netowork
 | >
 | >         case ${dhcpd_enable} in
 | >         [Yy][Ee][Ss])
 | >                 echo -n ' dhcpd'
 | >                 /usr/sbin/dhcpd ${dhcpd_flags}
 | >                 ;;
 | >         esac
 |
 | *******
 | I would imagine that the above snippit of code should be placed
 | immediately after the:
 |
 | 	case ${sshd_enable} in
 | 		... blah blah blah
 | 	esac
 |
 | and immediately before the
 |
 | 	echo '.'
 | 	network_pass3_done=YES
 |
 | lines of code in the rc.network file.
 |
 | ******* This is the first time that I can recall editing this file...
 +------------------

That's just where I added it. I should probably send a patch to
the FreeBSD folks.  Generaly you don't need to edit rc.network.
I just wanted dhcpd to start at boot up and felt that it was
important enough to integrate this way rather than use the more
"conventional" /usr/local/etc/rc.d technique.

Personaly I think that the /usr/local/etc/rc.d technique adds
complexity without benifit.  SYSVR4 is full of these kinds of
"features".   I'd realy prefer something much simpler even than
this.  Such as having the rc script check for the existance of the
/etc/dhcpd.conf file.  But the technique that I used is more inline with
the direction of current changes to the FreeBSD boot system.

 +------------------

 | > And put this in rc.conf
 | >
 | >     dhcpd_enable="YES"
 | >     dhcpd_flags="de0"
 | >

 | *****
 | Is "de0" referring to your internal or external network adapter (nic)?
 | *****

De0 is the name for the ethernet interface on the inside.
Again reading the manual pages is a great way to learn this stuff.

have fun
chris

--
    Chris Fedde