Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:37:07 -0400
From:      Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't reattach gbde slice [testing]

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 03:25:24PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Here is one bugfix, but I'm not 100% sure it is what bites
> you, but please test anyway.

It doesn't resolve the master key sector overwrite bug, but otherwise
works fine.  In my tests number_of_keys=4 works reliably even with
raw slices, doesn't preclude scenario w/ beginning of slice being
overwritten by other install/OS.

The issue seems at some point (depending on master key location)
w/ number_of_keys=1 the device eventually fills up enough to
overwrite key sector(s): could be boundary condition.

To try:
- number_of_keys=2, number_of_keys=3
- fist_sector=0+x, last_sector=N-x tests
- debug: set some break points in bde when (offset == master key offset)
(other tests:)
- backup/restore key sectors, try fsck
- non-ufs use of device should reproduce, verify

> Poul-Henning

 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541