Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:13:19 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>, david@bushong.net, kris@obsecurity.org, calvinng@brel.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com, sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org
Subject:   Re: FWIW: pkg_alert development (was: Re: pkg/port dependency too l (enclosed))

--==_Exmh_1379084599P

[picking a random message to reply to in order to make some
meta-comments]

If memory serves me right, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> 	I do perl though and would rather do a make from src than an
> update from a binary.  [checking the docs to make sure I'm not crazy
> before stirring up another wild goose chase...]  Alright, looks safe.
>
> 	Thoughts to a -s flag to build from source?  -sc

Why don't you folks move this to -ports?  There's a lot of people there
who have thought about these issues, and they can at least help you
avoid re-making past mistakes.  (Also look at the list archives, this
issue gets re-hashed every few months.)

I had the approach of incorporating this into bsd.port.mk.  Anyone who
wants to see what I've got and is interested in improving it, please
send me a note off-list.  I use it routinely, but it has its
shortcomings, such as not dealing with build-time flags.

Also, you might want to talk to the OpenPackages people to see what
they're doing.  Those of you actually working on this problem can
probably save a lot of time and grief by looking at what others have
tried to do in the past...

Cheers,

Bruce.

PS.  I can be dropped from this discussion; unfortunately I won't have
time to participate except to make a few meta-comments every now and
then.  :-(

--==_Exmh_1379084599P

--==_Exmh_1379084599P--