Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:56:39 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel compatability

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1101031017110.1450@desktop>, Jeff Roberson writes:

>I have seen that some attempt at similar wrappers has been made elsewhere.
>I wonder if instead of making each one tailored to individual components,
>which mostly seem to be filesystems so far, should we put this in a
>central place under compat somewhere?

My inflation devalued $0.02:

We should face our NIH syndrome and for those differences between
Linux and FreeBSD KPI which are purely a naming or trivial argument
difference, try to reduce the differences.

Those where there are substantial differences, we should only have
one compat layer, not one for each driver.