Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:58:19 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Kirill Timofeev <kt97679@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio support on sun blade 100

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:07:32AM +0400, Kirill Timofeev wrote:
 > Folks,
 >
 > I installed freebsd on sun blade 100
 >
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:~>uname -a
 > FreeBSD d-espb04-125-186 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 20
 > 07:18:58 MSD 2006     kvt@d-espb04-125-186:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 > sparc64
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:~>
 >
 > and can not enable audio hardware. I see the following line in dmesg output
 > (using default kernel):
 >
 > pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)
 >
 > I tryed to load audio support using "kldload sound". After that I get
 > /dev/sndstat, but:
 >
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:/usr/src>cd
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:~>kldload sound
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:~>cat /dev/sndstat
 > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
 > Installed devices:
 > root@d-espb04-125-186:~>
 >
 > Sun blade 100 is listed among fully supported systems, so I assumed, that
 > its sound hardware is also supported. Please let me know if I'm wrong, and
 > audio hardware is currently not supported, or I'm doing something wrong.

I have no audio hardware experience on blade 100. But I think it
has a Trident 4DWave NX/DX compatible chip. The audio hardware is
supported with snd_t4dwave(4) on i386. However AFAIK the hardware
can't handle DMA addresses located above 1GB. Since sparc64 uses DVMA
and if the DVMA address is higher than 1GB it wouldn't work at all.
I don't know how Solaris handled this limitation but if there is a
way that solves the issue we can easily support a bunch of old PCI
audio hardware including SoundBlaster Live!

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon