Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:52:42 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1-RELEASE

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:

> > You guys ever think of doing a patch release (like a single tarball with
> > the changes) for those of us that spent 2 days setting up 2.2R?
>
> Well .. if anyone is thinking about doing this, I have written a
> perl script for one of our productis for doing a Secure field upgrade,
> basically the script uses FreeBSD's fetch program with either a web
> URL or FTP URL to download a tar/tar.pgp file and automatically
> extract and applying an upgrade to the system.  I have some more details
> on how this mechanism works if anyone is "thinking" about such
> a process.

I've already spoken with Jordan and others about organising a binary
patch package repository for use with pkg_add.  I just need to put in the
extra effort to track the needed changes to the appropriate releases and
organise the packages to be built and distributed.  Finding time is hard
right now.  Perhaps over the Easter break I'll look at it again.

Danny