Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 23:13:37 +0000
From:      Paul Floyd -NETMANSYS- <Paul.Floyd@netmansys.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuration questions.

Hello

I've had FreeBSD installed on my PC for a fairly long time, but
I never got round to using it much, and never finished the final
tweaks to get things looking nice.

However, I've recently started a job that involves using Solaris
machines, so I've started to dust off my installation.

I've got FreeBED 2.1.0 installed. When I installed it, my PC had
an ethernet connection to the net, but now it is all on its own.
I got as far as recompiling the kernel to get PS/2 mouse support,
and to cut out some of the stuff I didn't need, and I got XFree86
up and running.

I've had a look on the FreeBSD web site, and I think I've solved
some of my questions (it is getting late at night, and sleep is now
more important than surfing for more answers).

Here are my questions:
I have a UK keyboard (most of the time). I see I should use the
kdbcontrol command to change the keyboard mapping. How do I
make this automatic on boot up?

Is there a keyboard mapping for Quebecois keyboards? (Cos I
f*!&ing can't stand French AZERTY kbds).

My /usr partition is almost full, yet my swap is usually almost
empty. Is there any painless way to extend the /usr partition?
I have Partition Magic, so I can shrink my adjacent DOS partition
at will, but PM won't handle FreeBSD sub partitions.

How can I get the window manager to use something other than
640x480, 16 colours, 60Hz, as the default config for XFree86?
This is an S3 805 with 1M VRAM.

The default window manager is not a pretty sight. I use CDE at
work, and am most familiar with the OS/2 WPS UI. Any suggestions
for a wm I might be more able to live with?

What are the issues involved with upgrading to the latest FreeBED?
Remember, I'm likely to have to take any downloads home by the
caseload of floppies. (I'm more keen to upgrade gcc from 2.6.3 I
have to 2.7.x).

Does anyone know of any distributors for the Walnut Creek CDS
and books in France?

At work I use ksh. I've seen on the web page that there is a pdksh,
I've also used bash. Anyone care to comment on the merits of pdksh
and bash? I could learn to live with sh or csh.

How do I go about changing the "network" name of the machine (even
though it is isolated, the default myname@myhost, if I remember
correctly wouldn't be my first choice.

I think that's all. For now.

Any replies and pointers appreciated,