Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 10:29:02 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Changing_User=B4s_Group?=

Greetings,

  huh??  how can it be groupmod.

  I am guessing he wants to change the group of a user, his original
  command looks correct to me, and would be what I would use.

:> > pw usermod _userid_ -g _newgroup_

  Are you sure the group of the user did not change??
  Did you run the command as root?

  In fact, I just tried and it works okay:
    [frodo] # groups nobody
    nobody
    [frodo] # pw usermod nobody -g wheel
    [frodo] # groups nobody
    wheel
    [frodo] # pw usermod nobody -g nobody
    [frodo] # groups nobody
    nobody

  Works okay

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Gerald T. Freymann's email
:> > I forgot to say, actually I´m needing to change the primary group
:> > in master.passwd file, it´s because we grant some privilegious by
:> > the user group, so, I need to chage it in master.passwd file.
:>
:>  Ok, I was thinking you just wanted to change the group on a file.. yes,
:> what you want is different.
:>
:>  I believe Chris D. Faulhaber had the answer:
:>
:> > I´m trying to do it with pw command:
:> > pw usermod user -g newgroup
:> Try groupmod :)
:>
:> -gf