Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:27:38 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apm on an IBM ThinkPad A30

--DITGHUV3p5DjDsXt

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:23:14AM -0500, Mark Evenson wrote:
> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc as well.
>=20
> Sebastian Benner <benners@bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de> writes:
>=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I am facing problems with apm on an IBM ThinkPad A30 . Apm works as far=
 as
> > the battery status is concerned. Suspend mode lets the display switch o=
ff
> > but not come back. Anyone else having this problem?
> >=20
>=20
> My IBM Thinkpad X20 exhibits the same symptoms.  There was a recent spate
> of postings on freebsd-stable [[1]] regarding similar problems with an IBM
> Thinkpad R32.  The problem was eventually diagnosed as badly initilized
> data structures and fixed to the satisfication of the reporting user with=
 a patch to
> sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c [[2]], but it does not work for me.=20
>=20
> Even with this patch applied, my system will always eventually hang on
> resume.  "Eventually" as it seems to "sometimes" work once (a
> suspend/resume cycle), but never twice.  This is the same behavior as when
> I run unpatched STABLE.
>=20

Hi,

the specific patch you mention was just against a panic that was triggered,
when you have 'device atapicam' in your kernel config.
My R32 always resumed fine, leaving aside the various device timeouts :-)

BTW, I'm running -CURRENT with ACPI on the thingy now and it works quite we=
ll.

- Christian

--=20
http://www.unixpages.org			chris@unixpages.org
GPG Pub-Key    : www.unixpages.org/cbrueffer.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D
GPG Key ID     : 0xA0ED982D

--DITGHUV3p5DjDsXt

--DITGHUV3p5DjDsXt--