Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Colin Beck <beck@7thdesign.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp, pnp

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Colin Beck wrote:

> I have been working at getting my PnP modem working under FreeBSD release
> 2.2.6. I recompiled the kernel with controller ppp0, put the pnp ID in
> /usr/sys/isa/sio.c, and by entering "-c" and then "pnp 1 0 enable os irq0
> 3 drq0 0 port0 0x2f8" I was able to get sio1 to recognize it.
>
> How do I make it so that I do not have to manually tell pnp what settings
> to use for my card at bootup?

If your BIOS supports Plug & Play, try setting the 'PnP OS' option to
'No' (as in, not 'Windows 95').  This forces the BIOS to enumerate the
devices instead of doing it manually with the pnp command.

If you drop the line into /kernel.config and build your kernel with
'options USERCONFIG_BOOT' I think userconfig will pick it up
automatically.  I'm not sure for 2.2.6 though.

> Also, when I am trying to dial my modem manually in ppp, the modem doesn't
> output to the screen like it should. Instead, I get the message "myname
> /kernel: sio4: 1 events for device with no tp".

It doesn't appear to be responding to interrupts.

Doug White