Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:15:27 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ron <ron@skyinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

> Ron wrote:
>
> I'm thinking of switching to freeBSD from windows 98 just for the
> stability, but I can't seem to find any word processing or
> spreadsheet software.  would you know where i can find it on the
> net, or in the philippines?

I use WordPerfect 8 for Linux on my FreeBSD machine. You can purchase
it at any software store or download it from Corel. I use WordPerfect
on my Windows Machines because I can use fonts under 8 pt, which lets
me document code better. I don't get the line wraps. I also have
Office 2000 on one of my Windows NT machines and there are times such
intermingling fonts for heading and such where WP 8 gets confused.
Then you get confused and have to spend time in the view control
command mode to straighten out the mess. I use Adobe to publish and I
can load either into PageMaker.

In the cases where I have used it, MS Excel gives you more control
when you generate graphs. I want to chose the colors for each line in
the chart and I can do that with Excel. I don't know if StarOffice or
Applixware will do that. I have downloaded StarOffice but haven't
added it. I haven't had a need and if you don't need it there isn't
any reason to spend the time adding it. You may find it much more
effective to create a dual boot system, which lets you use the right
tool for the project. You may not find features that you need in what
you will have available on FreeBSD and that lets you use the best of
both worlds. I still have Win 98 on my Windows computers but none of
them default to it at boot.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html