Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:36:12 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, security@freebsd.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: New article

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
>
> > Question: Is a loadable kernel module not a potential security risk?
>
> Only if your machine is insecurely configured.
>
> > Imagine some attacker exchanging some kernel module against own code, and
> > causing that module to be loaded (say, some driver for access to certain
> > filesystems, or zip drive etc...), or waiting for the module to be loaded
> > (say, for regular, scheduled activities like backups or batch jobs or so)
>
> This is why one of the first steps in securing that box should be to give
> the modules the noschg flag. Hmm, probably this should be done by
> default, like we noschg the kernel at install-time.

The same should be done to the directory itself.  Ditto for /bin,
/usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin etc - in fact, anything that's in roots
path.

And what about /etc/{*passwd,*pwd.db} ?  Methinks this is a large
can of worms !

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>