Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:24:04 -0800
From:      schluntz@timberwolf.workofstone.net
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: @Home Server Scanner?

>	My cable service is apparently going to be using @HOME when they
>start offering cable net access, I don't really like the idea of them
>not allowing me to run a web server or such ( assuming it's properly
>configured ), but it is in their terms & conditions I believe.

It's an ok service, nice pipe usually. I use it for my personal work. But yes, they do scan you to make sure you are not running a 'service' but you can put up a small web page for your own use (ftp site as well) as long as they don't see your outbound usage spike.  (They mail send you an eMail about the web server, and you just need to reply "Pesonal refrence site, etc." and they won't mind.

The only reason I posted this back to the list is because I do suggest marking off any of their ops servers in the no-log of your firewall so it won't bug you to much.

-Sean