Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:14:09 -0500
From:      Joseph a Nagy Jr <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>,  FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Graphiz broke because of swig

--------------enig17DC97421D2ACC260B437B6A

--------------000305030407000103050801

On 10/14/2012 12:13 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:37:47 -0500, Joseph a Nagy Jr wrote:
>> I was installing my system earlier (dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS/FreeBSD
>> 9.0; Ubuntu was already present) and while installing subversion, one =
of
>> the many co-dependencies of the many programs that were being installe=
>> was graphviz. Apparently I selected some support options relating to
>> swig that broke the compile of graphiz (and therefore everything else)=
=2E
>> Is there a way to remedy this?
>=20
> You can reconfigure the port (and its dependencies, in case you
> don't exactly know in which port the problem occured) by doing:
>=20
> 	# cd /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz/
> 	# make clean
> 	# make rmconfig-recursive
> 	# make config-recursive
> 		... now process all config screens as needed ...
> 	# make install
>=20
> In case something stops on the way, investigate _there_. It may
> be possible that you need a "make deinstall && make reinstall"
> step, depending in what currently is installed on your system.

Thanks, I hate seeming like a noob but its been a while since I've had
to get under the hood, so to speak.

> Note that using port management tools might be an easier approach
> here, but utilizing the power of "bare bone ports" could lead to
> better diagnostic messages.

I was just following the handbook's suggestion of installing subversion
(which on a bare system led to hours of compilations that broke because
I didn't know swig was a program to handle what I was optioning in for
graphviz or that it was broken and not used).

> Anyway, always consult /usr/ports/UPDATING for news. You would
> (for example) find something like this:
>=20
> 20080507:
>   AFFECTS: Perl interface users of audio/gramofile
>   AUTHOR: rafan@FreeBSD.org
>=20
>   Perl support is removed due to devel/swig11 removal in ports.  If you=
 use
>   the Perl interface, you are encouraged to use the new Audio::Gramofil=
>   found on CPAN (contact me for the ports).
>=20
> Note that this is a quite old message, quoted as an example only
> because it relates to swig.

Thanks, I'll definitely do so next time. (:

>> I'd rather not reinstall the entire
>> system. Thanks.
>=20
> The system is managed independently from the installed software,
> so actually don't fear: no need to do this.
>=20
>=20

Haha, you have no idea what sort of troubles I sometimes cause for
myself in this regard. ;) When I muck something up, I muck it up good!
--=20
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org