Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 13:47:43 -0400
From:      nthwaver@gmail.com
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: public samba share annoyingly asking for password

On 5/2/06, Vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it> wrote:
> Context: pentium 4, freebsd 6.0, samba 3.0.22,
> 6 windows 2000, NT,XP
> samba clients
>
> Dear friends,
>
> I'm writing to this ML because, googling
> the net on the subject reported below,  it seems that samba works
> slightly differently according to the platform in which it is installed
> (I read of differences of behaviour between Fedora and Debian samba
> installations, or even between FC1 and FC2 installations).
>
> I setup a
> samba server connected to a very large *** original MS-windows LAN ***
> with the following smb.conf file. The aim is to put in a public read-
> only share all the programs we need to share.
>
> Now, the problem is that
> at boot time - after logging in the MS-windows client -  windows 2000
> or NT clients present the user with a pop-up window asking for a
> password to connect to the public share (I created the 'pcguest'
> freebsd user as a passwordless user and to 'smbpasswd pcguest' I didn't
> provide any password at all!). Clicking on OK the share is immediatedly
> connected and it all works. Nonetheless the pop-up window asking for a
> password is somewhat disturbing.
> By the way, windows XP clients don't
> seem to suffer from the same problem. They connect to the share
> smoothly, without asking anything as expected!
>
> Any idea to solve the
> problem?
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio
>

> ###smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup =3D mygroup
> server string =3D FreeBSD
> map to guest =3D Bad User
> passdb backend =3D tdbsam
> security =3D user
> guest account =3D pcguest
> log file =3D /var/log/samba/log.%
> load printers =3D No
> preferred master =3D No
> local master =3D No
> domain
> master =3D No
> dns proxy =3D No
> wins server =3D 10.100.10.38, 10.100.10.21
> hosts allow =3D 10.100.
>
> [homes]
> comment =3D Home Directories
> read only =3D
> No
> browseable =3D No
>
> [public]
> comment =3D Deposit
> path =3D /home/pcguest
> guest only =3D Yes
> guest ok =3D Yes

This is based on a slightly different experience with a Linux host,
but my first guess is you want to add "security =3D share" to the public
section to override the global "security =3D user".  For that share, you
might also want "force user =3D pcguest" and some explicit commands for
whether you want it write protected, but I'd see if the first solution
solves your problem.

Jordan