Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 18:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best deal on an SMP system nowadays?

I've totally had it with my current desktop, it's 5 years old and really
showing its age. So, I'd like to get a new desktop, and I'd really like to
get an SMP system both so that I can have blazing speed, and so that I can
be an SMPng guinea pig. I already run -current on my desktop, so I figured
I might as well be a glutton for all the punishment I can. :) I'm quite
comfortable building a system, so so I don't need something pre-packaged,
I just need to know what to get.

Video Card: Something fast that supports dual head, windows (for games)
and X.  I hear good things about ATI Radeon's lately...

I'm getting reasonably good performance out of the freebsd native nvidia
drivers with my current geforce card, but I can't help thinking that some
of my spontaneous reboots are related to them, and I don't like the fact
that I have to run without witness and invariants. So I'd like to move to
something that is better supported, preferably by the vendor. So I think
that leaves ATI and Matrox.

Motherboard must haves:
USB 2
Firewire
PATA 133
At least 4 PCI slots
2 Serial ports

Motherboard nice to haves:
AGP 8x (or better?)
AGP Pro50 bus?
Serial ATA
Ethernet on board
"Good" sound on board
Fan speed, CPU, and case temp monitoring (ala lmmon)
ISA slot

Anything I'm missing?

Doug