Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:37:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Robert Watson wrote:
> > How about /var/run/{$deamon}.pid?
>
> So, one of the things I've always hated (and loved) about UNIX
> is the pid system.  One of the problems I have with (foo).pid
> is that pid's are rapidly recycled, so if a daemon dies, there's
> no way to track that unless you're a parent process (wherein
> you can reliably get the exiting information via SIGCHLD and
> wait()).

The thing that pisses me off most about the use of pid
files is that on any border device, you are generally
going to run at least two DNS servers (interior, exterior),
and will probably run two SMTP servers, and even two HTTP
servers and two inetd's.

Putting everything in /var/run under the name of the
program gets to be dirt stupid real fast...

Of course, we could use jails (flash disk space is free,
right?), unless we had to use the loopback device to
prevent exterior or interior machines from denying POP3
or SMTP service to internally dependent programs, like a
web mail server or fetchmail...

-- Terry